Visit the FreshFarm Ballston Market Every Thursday
With the longer days of summer, take time to enjoy all that the warmer months have to offer, including venturing to some area farmers’ markets. If you live around Ballston, you are within walking distance to some wonderful restaurants, shops, and grocery stores, as well as the Ballston Farmer’s Market.
Every Thursday afternoon (3:00 pm – 7:00 pm), the Ballston FreshFarm Market serves up locally grown fruit and vegetables, along with gourmet cheeses, honey and beeswax products, eggs, meat, pies, eggs and more. In fact, you can make a late lunch or dinner out of it. Enjoy one of the smoothies made at the market, pick up some crab cakes, and sample some tasty gourmet spreads or dips.
If you can’t wait for Thursday, check out the other Arlington farmers’ markets in Rosslyn and Crystal City at FreshFarmMarkets.org. This web site also provides market locations throughout the Washington area, from the White House and Union Market to Silver Spring and even out to St. Michael’s on the Eastern Shore.
Regardless of location, be sure to bring your shopping bags for some eco-friendly shopping. Take advantage of fresh offerings to give your taste buds a break from the usual fare. And with live music and weekly chef demos, the Ballston FreshFarm Market provides a wonderful backdrop for your shopping and socializing.
According to FreshFarm.org, 2018 Ballston Farmers and Producers include:
- BREAD & WATER: artisan sweet & savory baked goods
- BUN’D UP: handmade buns with sweet & savory fillings
- COULTER FARMS: organic grass-fed beef, pastured pork, lamb, eggs & creamline dairy products
- COWBELL KITCHEN: pressed sandwiches, quiche, pastries & desserts
- CUCINA AL VOLO: handmade pastas, ravioli, sauces, & pork sandwiches
- GREENHEART JUICE SHOP: locally sourced, unpasteurized, cold-pressed juice
- ICE CREAM JUBILEE: small-batch premium ice cream
- LITTLE AUSTRIA: European-style strudels & pastries
- MICKLEY’S ORCHARD & FARM MARKET: tree & field fruit, vegetables, preserves & apple cider
- MOCK’S GREENHOUSE: hydroponic greens & tomatoes
- MONROE BAY WINERY: wine made from Virginia-grown grapes
- NUMBER 1 SONS: barrel-fermented pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi & kombucha
- OAK LANE SOAPWORKS: handmade soaps
- PLEITEZ PRODUCE: field vegetables & cut flowers
- RAINBOW HILL FARM: organic vegetables, fruits, flowers, chicken eggs & duck eggs
- RED TREE FARMSTEAD: field vegetables & cut flowers
- ROCKAHOCK FARM: baked goods, chutneys, preserves & mustards
- SHE PEPPERS: hot sauces, chile pastes, seasoning blends & pickles
- SPOT OF TEA (formerly Cassava): locally sourced boba teas & Vietnamese coffee
- TIMBER PIZZA COMPANY: wood-fired pizza & sandwiches
- WESTMORELAND BERRY FARM: tree fruit, berries, vegetables & preserves
Partner organizations for the FRESHFARM Ballston Market are:
- Ballston BID
Find more information at www.freshfarm.org/ballston
FreshFarm Markets. (2018). Freshfarm. Source: http://freshfarm.org/